Why Is My Cash Balance Negative On Webull
Webull is one of the newer online brokers, forming in just 2017 and launching with just a mobile app in May 2018. This mobile first launch was reflective of Webull’s most important target market: millennials. Webull is positioning itself to serve newer and more active traders, and others drawn to a platform offering a broad range of services for free, including no account minimums, commission free trading of stocks/ETFs and their options, and multiple cryptocurrencies. Webull is more geared towards self-directed investors and offers a smaller range of services than its full-service competitors. Webull customers still get a lot for their money. Webull offers a great platform with many useful tools and features as well as competitive margin rates. We will take a detailed look at Webull in order to help you determine if it is the right broker.
Webull won Investopedia’s Best Broker for Low Cost Options Trading, Best Day Trading Platform and Best Low Cost Options Broker in our 2021 Best Online Brokers Review.
- Webull does not charge commissions for stock, ETF or option trades. There are no minimum account requirements. Margin trading is available to accounts of $2000 and higher.
- Webull offers stocks, ETFs, options, and cryptocurrencies. This smaller selection of assets is meant to serve a client base that skews towards younger, self-directed customers comfortable with technology and wanting information on the go.
- Webull is easy to use, providing good trading functionality and a broad package of tools and functionality including news, fundamental and technical analysis, and stock screeners.
- Webull is not the broker that people should use if they are looking for more products such as managed accounts, mutual funds, fixed income, and mutual funds. Investors who prefer working with an investment advisor and want access to live trading assistance should look elsewhere.
- Fractional cryptocurrency trading is possible in multiple cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, Dodgecoin and Bitcoin Cash.
Who Webull Is For
Webull is for investors who want to get into financial markets with no minimum account sizes and commission free trading. Webull is not a full-services broker, so its customers need a bit of a DIY approach on some aspects of portfolio management. Webull customers have skewed younger than at other brokerage companies. Active traders will be attracted to the broker’s free model. Webull’s no-cost options trading will be particularly appealing to active traders. This is because all other brokers, including those that offer free stock and ETF trades such as Schwab, still charge commissions for each leg.
- No commissions on stocks/ETFs, options, or cryptocurrencies
- Easy account setup and options approval, and no fees or minimums
- Free real-time streaming quotes
- Simple to use platforms that provide excellent content and tools
- Access to trading hours that are extended and pre-market
- No income on excess cash
- Potential for execution to be halted by payment of order flow
- Portfolio management tools are limited in number
- Access to fixed income, mutual funds or foreign exchange is not available.
- Everyone wants something for free, and that is exactly what Webull delivers. No commission stock, ETF, option, and cryptocurrency trading is particularly appealing to traders that don’t need their hands held. Lower implementation costs makes it easier for traders to profit off a trading strategy.
- It takes only a few minutes to open an account. It takes only a few minutes to get approval for account and options trading. You can also add your bank account or set up an ACH transfer free of charge in a matter of minutes. Even though the transfer might not be completed for several days, you will receive purchasing power.
- Webull provides free streaming quotes and three-month free access to Level 2 Advance quotes. This service is Nasdaq TotalView and provides more information about market depth as well as a deeper range of bids and questions on security. You can also find auction crossing information for all NASDAQ NYSE stocks and regionally listed stocks on NASDAQ Marketplace Center.
- Webull’s desktop and mobile application platforms are relatively new, so it has a fresh, intuitive design and is easy to use. The applications are packed with helpful tools for trading, especially considering all the tools are free to the user. You can access news and fundamental information about companies through the customizable workstation platform. Charting is available, as well as watchlists, stock screeners, charts, aggregate ratings and aggregate ratings from multiple analyst. Despite all the information, it is organized in a way that makes it easy to use.
- Many active traders like to trade the market in the pre and/or extended hour trading periods, and Webull customers have the ability to access these hours. Traders can choose whether they want their orders active during the non-regular trading day times.
- Webull customers receive no interest on cash balances in their account. Webull does not support mutual fund trading so customers cannot proactively invest any cash in a money-market fund. This may not be too much of an issue in today’s ultra-low short term interest rate environment, but the lost opportunity for generating interest on excess cash might be more noticeable if rates move higher.
- Webull is able to offer free trading and all its other services because it is receiving payment for order flow (PFOF). This fact may reduce Webull’s price execution quality. The speed and precision that orders are generally filled at today somewhat lessens this as a significant issue for most traders, but day traders and those using other strategies highly dependent on execution quality may be at a disadvantage.
- Webull offers a number of useful tools for traders, but the portfolio management tools are not as good. Customers of Webull are expected to be able to make their own trading and investing decisions. There are no daily or intra-day market letters, and no research or analyst reports on stocks outside of aggregated analyst statistics. Webull does not offer financial advisors, recommended portfolios for rebalancing, control of tax lots on sales, or offer a dividend reinvestment program (DRIP). Currently, Webull doesn’t offer fractional equity shares, although the broker has expressed that they plan to add fractional stock shares soon.
- Webull offers a wide range of stock, ETFs and options, as well as cryptocurrencies. There are no fixed income investments, mutual funds, international equities, futures, or foreign exchange offerings at Webull. What you see is what you get.
Webull is simple to use with intuitive navigation. Webull offers a website, desktop workstation and mobile app. They are all well-designed. The platforms share a modern look and feel because of having been built so recently.
The website and desktop workstation are almost identical. They share the same menu and window layout. This main set of buttons is located on the left side of your screen. These buttons allow you to launch customizable quote boards. A stock page that provides a wealth information about a single stock, ETF or stock, as well as a market overview page and stock screener. An account tab shows balances, positions and buying power. You can also access bank transfers to and from your account. There is also a dedicated paper trading area. There are some minor differences between the website and the workstation, and the website only supports single leg options.
The mobile app uses primary features in a way consistent with the website and workstation, but there are design differences to handle the smaller screens the app is used on. The menu buttons on the bottom of the app screen change to be relevant to the content shown at the time. For example, an options button appears as a choice at the bottom of the stock screen showing an individual stock/ETF.
You can easily create watchlists across all platforms from stock screener results. You don’t have to create watchlists on different platforms. Watchlists are also consistent across all platforms, including the web, mobile, and desktop. It’s easy to order and traders can customize the trading ticket information, such as share amounts and order type.
Webull’s workstation can be customized to suit your needs. There are templates for day trading, stock trading, ETF trading, options trading and cryptocurrency trading. Traders can switch between these different template pages, and can build their own page layouts from scratch through widgets. The widgets contain different information, such as news, fundamentals, options, as well as order entry, time & sales, and so on. To save screen space, the widgets can be combined. The different widgets are accessible via marked tabs at top of the window. You can group widget windows together to ensure that stock entries in one widget will update in all other widgets.
The trading setup also allows for a highly customized user experience, including hot keys, home page loaded on startup, default stock and option orders, and frequently used share quantities. The most flexibility and customization is available on the workstation. Website did not include all the templates for trading pages on the workstation. The learning center was also not accessible via the website. When necessary, the system will direct you to other pages, such as the stocks window, which allows you to view stock-specific information, news and charting.
It is easy to enter an order through Webull. The order screen can be added to different screens, and the stock order entry screen includes contingency orders for stop loss and/or profit taking levels. You can also create order tickets directly from the account holdings, and clicking on the bid or offer of a market will automatically enter that information into the trade order widget. Trading was also available directly from the charting program, with active positions and orders clearly shown on the chart.
Mobile Trade Experience
Although there are minor differences between the workstation and the website, there is an overall consistency across all platforms. Although the mobile app offers the same basic features of the website and the workstation, there are some design differences that allow for smaller screens. Menu buttons adapt along with the content screen you are on, serving up the main functions that you are likely to need. Mobile charting allows you to trade directly from the chart and shows you your open positions. Webull’s drawing tools were also easier to use than the mobile charting software of many other brokers. Although the Webull stock screener is not available on the mobile app, you can convert search results from the website or at work into a watchlist which will be synced to the app.
A wide range of offerings
Webull focuses exclusively on U.S. Stock, ETF and U.S.-listed options. Webull offers only personal and IRA accounts within the United States. Although Webull’s product offerings are not as extensive as full-service brokers, they can meet the needs for younger customers who are less interested in fixed income. Webull allows trading in multiple cryptocurrency for as low as $1, which is a departure from many full-service brokers. Webull does not offer traditional forex trading, fixed income, mutual funds, futures or traditional foreign currency trading. Webull investors can trade the following:
- US listed Stocks/ETFs long and short (2,085 stocks are currently on Webull’s easy to borrow list for short sales
- US Listed Options on stocks and ETFs
- Cryptocurrency trading in Bitcoin, Dodgecoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, ZEC, and XLM
- Notable: Although New York State is the only US state to not have approved cryptocurrency trading on Webull yet, the company anticipates that it will soon be approved.
Webull offers most of the most popular order types such as market, limit and stop, stop limit, stop limit, trailing stops, and stop limit. There are also specialty orders such as one-cancel-the-other (OCO), one-triggers-an-OCO (OTOCO), and one-triggers-the-other (OTO), allowing traders to setup a conditional order where a filled limit order establishes an OCO attaching both a stop loss and a profit taking level order once the initial position is established. Webull does not offer market-if-touched, market-on-close, or similar orders.
Webull doesn’t offer traders control over tax lots on sales to close a long stock position; they use the first in, first out (FIFO) methodology. Webull also lacks automated trading, backtesting of strategies, and the ability to stage orders.
Although Webull’s trading technology may be basic, it can get the job done. Webull reports net price improvement of 0.0056 a share and $1 per options contract. There is no smart order routing, no trading automation, no backtesting capabilities, and no way to route your own orders. That said, this is in keeping with the broker’s bare bones approach to keep costs down.
Webull is not a low-cost broker but a free broker. They offer commission free trading in stocks, ETFs, and listed options, and they do not charge a fee for account minimums or for their robust platforms and tools. Webull’s margin rates are also competitive. Webull’s commission-free trading means that we don’t charge for trades. However, they must pay Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), transaction fees and other regulatory fees. These fees are usually pennies to fractional pennies per contract. Webull’s costs are as follows:
- Online trades in equities or ETFs are free of commissions
- Exchange traded options are free of commissions
- No commission on cryptocurrency trading
- Margin is available for both leverage and short sales, and margin rates are based on account size. Breakpoint: Below $25K 6.99%, $100K 6.49%, $250K 5.99%, $500K 5.49% and $500K 5.49%. $1MM 4.99%. $3MM 4.49%. And >$3MM 3.99%.
- Money transfers: No charge for ACH Deposits and withdrawals; Wire Transfers are $8 for deposits in the US and $12.5 if international, and $25 for withdrawals in the US and $40 if international
- Paper statements charges: Confirmations are $2 per confirm, account statements $5 per statement, and prospectus fees $2.5 per mailing
How this broker makes money for you and from you
It has become harder to understand how brokerage firms generate revenue in the age of no commission trading. Webull is unabashed in telling investors how they make money that allows them to provide a sophisticated platform and zero fee trading.
- Payment from Order Flow: Webull clearly wants to be the first to offer no commission trading. Options are now free to trade on Webull. Webull’s pricing page is very clear and states that PFOF is the reason they are able to offer no commission trading. Webull receives an average of $0.00024 per share for its order flow, and an average of $0.525 per options contract; Webull’s price execution improvement averages are $0.0056 per share, and $1 per option contract.
- Interest on Cash: Another important revenue stream for Webull is its ability to generate income from cash in its traders’ accounts, as the company does not pay interest on cash balances. When you have cash in your account, the interest generated by Webull is kept by Webull.
- Stock Lending Program: Webull offers a stock lending program. The investor who lends the securities shares the revenue. The market demand for your securities determines the interest rate.
Account and Research Amenities
Webull offers a broad array of account information and research amenities, including fundamental data, news, and charting to help traders make informed investment decisions and identify stocks to trade. However, Webull does not provide the types of tools and information available at full-service brokers, such as daily market reports or individual analyst reports or in-depth portfolio analysis tools.
Webull offers a stock screener. It is available on the website and at the workstation, but not in the mobile app. The screener is limited to stocks and is easy enough to use, but it does not offer all the functionality that rival broker screeners offer. Only the United States, China and Canada can be selected; Webull offers data and charts for US, Honk Kong and Canada markets. However, U.S. account holders have limited access to trading in U.S. market markets. For the U.S., you can select the exchanges to include (NYSE, AMEX, NASDAQ), and can filter by more than 25 industry sectors, financial information such as EPS, P/E, Dividends, and by nine pre-set technical indicators including overbought/oversold and moving average crosses.
Although the technical indicators are simple to use, they are not very comprehensive. We could not screen for stocks that moved beyond 200. Additional filters include a consensus analyst rating of five grades (strong buy/buy, hold/underperform, sell), and whether the stock can be traded with margin. Stocks can’t be screened for socially responsible investing (SRI). You can save a customized search and convert it to a watchlist. You can choose any stock from the search results to view key financial and technical information, as well as an order window.
ETF and Mutual Fund Screener
Webull doesn’t offer ETF screens and does not offer mutual funds.
Webull doesn’t have a screener that can identify potential option trade opportunities. However, they have tools to help you construct the most popular one, two and four leg options strategies (vertical spreads. Straddles/strangles. Butterflies/condors etc.). Select the strategy by using the drop-down menu in the option chain table. You can then bring up the payout graph at maturity for the strategy, and use tools to further customize the strategy through different order types or adjusting the width between strike prices in multi-leg strategies.
Fixed Income Screener
Webull doesn’t offer fixed income through their platform.
Webull built its own charting functionality, and it is a solid offering. Mobile app charting is a bit different than on the web and workstation because of the smaller screen size, but it is very intuitive. Order tickets and alerts can be created directly from charts, and analysis like Bollinger Bands(r), moving and exponential moving averages (MA/EMA), relative strength index (RSI), average trading range (ATR), multiple stochastics variations, and other commonly used analysis can be easily added to a chart. Again, it seems odd that neither the 50, 100, or 200 period MA was included in the set of six defaults in the program.
If you have heard about Webull before, it is the new web based trading system that has just made waves in the Forex market. Fumi Technology, a Chinese online holding company, operates Webull. It allows clients to buy and sell a variety of virtual assets such as shares, ETFs and derivatives as well as commodities like gold, dogecoin, and shiba coin. You can also get market commentary and trade alerts from industry experts to help you make informed investment decisions. Investors will need to open a demo account to see how the system works and determine if it is suitable for them.
The webull trading app is based on the Java-based software platform that is used for desktop trading platforms. The webull platform provides access to stock and option prices in real-time, as well as fundamental data such market depth, price, volume and price. The webull desktop trading platform is designed for both iOS and android devices and comes loaded with over one million product images and a large variety of media files. To use the webull app, first download the free trial web version and install the webull trading platform on your phone. In less than five minutes you are all set and ready to trade from anywhere in the world!
Webull allows traders to buy and sell securities with real money. Webull trading doesn’t require any special knowledge to execute trades. The app uses mathematical algorithms and sophisticated algorithms to identify good opportunities and prevent losses. It analyzes market signals and actions and then makes trades. For example, once the app identifies that the peak volume for a given security may be on the rise, it immediately alerts traders so that they can take action before the price starts to move. The best part is that all trades are fully customizable. This means that traders can set limits on how much they would like to invest, the maximum strike amount, and also what type of stop loss they want to use – a custom, or an automatic, limit set at the time the investor thinks the investment is under risk.
Trading with webull requires a minimum deposit of just $500, and the maximum is Unlimited. Once investors have created an account with webull, they can start depositing funds into their new account. Traders have the option to either hold a ‘buy or’sell’ option. They can also do transactions using cash or credit card transfers. Credit cards are recommended for smaller investments due to the higher transfer fees.
Many people have asked us why webull is better than traditional trading platforms. We can tell them that webull allows investors to conduct two types of transactions – buying and selling. Traditional trading requires that you wait until the end to complete a transaction. This will be reflected in your profit or loss statement. You can choose the time you want to make a transaction with webull. This will be reflected on your trading Profit and Loss Statement. Trading with webull allows you to set a limit on how much money you are willing and able to lose. This gives you more control over your investments and accountability.
Another reason why webull is superior to other systems is that the webull financial trading platform provides investors with real-time protection from third parties. Because webull has a counterparty protection feature, it is impossible for anyone but the authorized user to modify, change or close your accounts. Therefore, webull provides you with true asset protection, which is much better than any system that does not provide this type of protection. We can also tell investors that by using webull, they will not be legally obligated to pay taxes on the gains from their investments in the U.S., as webull contracts and investment deals are not considered income for the taxable year.
Webull is used by many traders as their main trading platform. However, there are many others who use it for back testing, fundamental tests, margin calls, and transactions. In addition, investors can also use webull for their custom trading needs. For instance, some brokers provide webull trading as a free service to their clients. Some webull brokers may charge a small fee for this service. Regardless, webull is an excellent product for all investors, both large and small, because of the benefits it offers.
Webull is a great platform for both new and experienced traders. It offers a low-cost, hands free, transparent way to trade on an equity market. Because there are no commissions or fees to pay, the investor has complete control over how much he/she trades. Overall, it is hard to beat webull.