Why Does Webull Need Photo Id
Webull is one of the newer online brokers, forming in just 2017 and launching with just a mobile app in May 2018. Webull’s primary target market, the millennials, was reflected in this mobile launch. Webull is positioning itself as a platform that can serve active traders and other people who are drawn to a platform that offers a wide range of services at no cost, including commission-free trading of stocks/ETFs or their options and multiple cryptocurrencies. Webull is more geared towards self-directed investors and offers a smaller range of services than its full-service competitors. Webull customers still get a lot for their money. Webull offers a great platform with many useful tools and features as well as competitive margin rates. We’ll take an in-depth look at Webull to help you decide if it is the right broker for your portfolio needs.
Webull was Investopedia’s winner for Best Broker for Low-Cost Options Trading, Best Low-Cost Day Trading Platform, and Best Low-Cost Options Broker in our 2021 Best Online Brokers Review.
- Webull does not charge commissions for stock, ETF or option trades. There are no minimum account requirements. Margin trading is available for accounts with a minimum of $2000.
- Webull offers options, stocks, ETFs and cryptocurrencies. This smaller selection of assets is meant to serve a client base that skews towards younger, self-directed customers comfortable with technology and wanting information on the go.
- Webull is easy to use, providing good trading functionality and a broad package of tools and functionality including news, fundamental and technical analysis, and stock screeners.
- Webull is not the broker that people should use if they are looking for more products such as managed accounts, mutual funds, fixed income, and mutual funds. Investors who prefer working with an investment advisor and want access to live trading assistance should look elsewhere.
- Fractional cryptocurrency trading is possible in multiple cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, Dodgecoin and Bitcoin Cash.
Who is Webull for?
Webull is an investment platform that allows investors to trade without commissions and open up new avenues for trading. Webull isn’t a full-service broker. Its customers require a DIY approach to some aspects of portfolio management. Webull customers have skewed younger than at other brokerage companies. Active traders will be attracted to the broker’s free model. Webull’s no-cost options trading will be particularly appealing to active traders. This is because all other brokers, including those that offer free stock and ETF trades such as Schwab, still charge commissions for each leg.
- There are no commissions for stocks/ETFs, options or cryptocurrency
- No minimums or fees, easy account setup
- Free real-time streaming quotes
- Simple to use platforms that provide excellent content and tools
- Access to extended hours and pre-market trading
- Excess cash does not earn you any income
- Potential give up on execution due to payment for order flow (PFOF)
- Portfolio management tools are limited in number
- Access to fixed income, mutual funds or foreign exchange is not available.
- Everyone wants something for free, and that is exactly what Webull delivers. There is no commission stock or ETF option. Cryptocurrency trading is especially appealing for traders who don’t want their hands tied. Trading strategies are easier to profit from because they have lower implementation costs.
- It takes only a few minutes to open an account. You will receive account and options trading approval very quickly and it only takes a couple of additional minutes to add your bank account and set up a free ACH transfer. Even though the transfer might not be completed for several days, you will receive purchasing power.
- Webull provides free streaming quotes and three-month free access to Level 2 Advance quotes. This service is Nasdaq TotalView and provides more information about market depth as well as a deeper range of bids and questions on security. You can also find auction crossing information for all NASDAQ NYSE stocks and regionally listed stocks on NASDAQ Marketplace Center.
- Webull’s mobile and desktop applications platforms are both relatively new. It has an intuitive design, is simple to use, and it is fresh. The applications are packed with helpful tools for trading, especially considering all the tools are free to the user. You can access news and fundamental information about companies through the customizable workstation platform. Charting is available, as well as watchlists, stock screeners, charts, aggregate ratings and aggregate ratings from multiple analyst. Despite the information density, all of this is set up to work effectively in a streamlined way.
- Many active traders like to trade the market in the pre and/or extended hour trading periods, and Webull customers have the ability to access these hours. Traders have the option to make their orders available during non-regular trading hours.
- Webull customers receive no interest on cash balances in their account. As Webull doesn’t support mutual fund trading, customers can’t proactively invest their unused cash in a money market fund. In today’s low short-term interest rates, this may not seem to be a problem. However, the potential loss of interest on cash could be more apparent if rates rise.
- Webull can offer trading and all other services for free because it receives payment for order flow (PFOF). This may affect Webull’s execution quality. This is not a major issue for most traders today, but it may be a problem for day traders or those who rely on execution quality to fill orders quickly and accurately.
- Webull offers a number of useful tools for traders, but the portfolio management tools are not as good. Customers of Webull are expected to be able to make their own trading and investing decisions. There are no intra-day or daily market letters and no analyst reports or research on stocks other than aggregated analyst statistics. Webull does not offer financial advisors, recommended portfolios for rebalancing, control of tax lots on sales, or offer a dividend reinvestment program (DRIP). Currently, Webull doesn’t offer fractional equity shares, although the broker has expressed that they plan to add fractional stock shares soon.
- Webull offers a wide range of stock, ETFs and options, as well as cryptocurrencies. Webull does not offer fixed income investments, mutual funds or international equities, options, or foreign currency offerings. What you see is what you get.
Webull is simple to use with intuitive navigation. Webull offers a website, desktop workstation and mobile app. They are all well-designed. Because they were built so recently, the platforms have a modern look.
The desktop workstation and website are nearly identical, with the same menu and window setup that focuses on a primary set of buttons down the left side of the screen. These buttons allow you to launch customizable quote boards. A stock page that provides a wealth information about a single stock, ETF or stock, as well as a market overview page and stock screener. An account tab shows balances, positions and buying power. You can also access bank transfers to and from your account. There is also a dedicated paper trading area. The website has some differences from the workstation. It only supports single-leg options.
Although the mobile app has the same primary features as the website and workstation websites, there are design differences that allow for smaller screens. The app screen’s menu buttons are updated to reflect the current content. An example of this is the options button, which appears at the bottom to show an individual stock/ETF.
Watchlists can be easily created across all platforms directly from stock screener results. Watchlists also remain consistent between the desktop, web, mobile app, so you don’t need to set these up on multiple platforms. Order entry is straightforward, and traders can even customize trading ticket information such as order type and share amounts they most commonly use.
Webull’s workstation can be customized to suit your needs. There are templates for day trading, stock trading, ETF trading, options trading and cryptocurrency trading. Traders can switch between these different template pages, and can build their own page layouts from scratch through widgets. The widgets contain different information, such as news, fundamentals, options, as well as order entry, time & sales, and so on. The widgets can be combined to save screen space, with the different widgets accessible through marked tabs at the top of the window. Widget windows can also be grouped together so a stock entered in one of the widgets will automatically update in the other widgets in the group.
The trading setup also allows for a highly customized user experience, including hot keys, home page loaded on startup, default stock and option orders, and frequently used share quantities. You can do the most customization and flexibility on your workstation. Website did not include all the templates for trading pages on the workstation. The learning center was also not accessible via the website. When necessary, the system will direct you to other pages, such as the stocks window, which allows you to view stock-specific information, news and charting.
It is easy to enter an order through Webull. You can add the order screen to other screens. The stock order entry screen also includes contingency orders that allow for profit taking and stop loss levels. You can also create order tickets directly from the account holdings, and clicking on the bid or offer of a market will automatically enter that information into the trade order widget. Trading was also available directly from the charting program, with active positions and orders clearly shown on the chart.
Mobile Trade Experience
As mentioned, although there are some minor differences between the website and the workstation, there is a basic consistency across all the platforms. Although the mobile app offers the same basic features of the website and the workstation, there are some design differences that allow for smaller screens. The menu buttons adjust to the content screen, so you can access the most important functions you need. Mobile charting allows you to trade directly from the chart and shows you your open positions. Webull’s drawing tools were also easier to use than the mobile charting software of many other brokers. Although the Webull stock screener is not available on the mobile app, you can convert search results from the website or at work into a watchlist which will be synced to the app.
A wide range of offerings
Webull focuses on U.S. Stock and ETF trading, and U.S. listed options and offers only personal and IRA accounts in the United States. Although Webull’s product offerings are not as extensive as full-service brokers, they can meet the needs for younger customers who are less interested in fixed income. Webull allows trading in multiple cryptocurrency for as low as $1, which is a departure from many full-service brokers. There is no fixed income, mutual fund, futures, or traditional foreign exchange trading available. Investors using Webull can trade the following:
- US listed Stocks/ETFs long and short (2,085 stocks are currently on Webull’s easy to borrow list for short sales
- US Listed Options on stocks and ETFs
- Cryptocurrency trading with Bitcoin, Dodgecoin and Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoins, ZEC, and XLM
- Notable: Although New York State is the only US state to not have approved cryptocurrency trading on Webull yet, the company anticipates that it will soon be approved.
Webull offers the most commonly used order types, including market, limit, stop, stop limit, and trailing stops. There are also specialty orders such as one-cancel-the-other (OCO), one-triggers-an-OCO (OTOCO), and one-triggers-the-other (OTO), allowing traders to setup a conditional order where a filled limit order establishes an OCO attaching both a stop loss and a profit taking level order once the initial position is established. Webull does not offer market-if-touched, market-on-close, or similar orders.
Webull does not offer traders the ability to control tax lots for sales to close long stock positions. Instead, they use the first in and first out (FIFO), methodology. Webull does not offer automated trading, backtesting strategies or the ability to place orders.
Although Webull’s trading technology may be basic, it can get the job done. Webull reports net price improvement of 0.0056 a share and $1 per options contract. There is no smart order routing, no trading automation, no backtesting capabilities, and no way to route your own orders. This is in line with the broker’s basic approach to keeping costs low.
Webull is a no cost broker, not a low cost broker. They offer commission-free trading in stocks, ETFs and listed options. There is no fee for minimum account requirements or access to their powerful platforms and tools. Webull’s margin rates also are competitive. When we talk about commission free trading, that means Webull does not charge for trades, but they do pass through Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) transaction fees and various exchange and regulatory fees, which are typically pennies or fractional pennies per contract. These are Webull’s costs:
- No commissions for online trades in equities, ETFs, or OTCBB trades
- Exchange traded options are free of commissions
- There is no commission for cryptocurrency trading
- Margin is available for both leverage and short sales, and margin rates are based on account size. Breakpoint: Below $25K 6.99%, $100K 6.49%, $250K 5.99%, $500K 5.49% and $500K 5.49%. $1MM 4.99%. $3MM 4.49%. And >$3MM 3.99%.
- Money transfers: There is no charge for ACH deposits and withdrawals. Wire Transfers cost $8 for US deposits and $12.5 if you are international. $25 for withdrawals within the US, and $25 for international withdrawals.
- Charges for paper statements: confirmations are $2 for each confirm, account statements are $5 a statement; and the prospectus fee is $2.5 per mailing
How This Broker Makes Money From You and for You
With the race towards no commission trading, understanding how brokerage companies generate revenue has become more opaque. Webull is unabashed in telling investors how they make money that allows them to provide a sophisticated platform and zero fee trading.
- Payment from Order Flow: Webull clearly wants to be the first to offer no commission trading. Options are now free to trade on Webull. Webull’s pricing page is very clear and states that PFOF is the reason they are able to offer no commission trading. Webull receives an average of $0.00024 per share for its order flow, and an average of $0.525 per options contract; Webull’s price execution improvement averages are $0.0056 per share, and $1 per option contract.
- Interest on Cash: Webull’s ability to generate income through cash in its traders’ accounts is another important revenue stream. The company doesn’t pay interest on cash balances. When you have cash in your account, the interest generated by Webull is kept by Webull.
- Stock Lending Program: Webull offers a stock lending program. The investor who lends the securities shares the revenue. The interest paid through the lending program depends entirely on the market demand for your securities.
Account and Research Amenities
Webull provides a wide range of account information and research facilities, including news and fundamental data. This helps traders make informed investment decisions as well as identify stocks to trade. However, Webull does not provide the types of tools and information available at full-service brokers, such as daily market reports or individual analyst reports or in-depth portfolio analysis tools.
Webull offers a stock screener. It is available on the website and at the workstation, but not in the mobile app. Although the screener can only be used for stocks, it is simple enough and offers some functionality not offered by other broker screeners. Only the United States, China and Canada can be selected; Webull offers data and charts for US, Honk Kong and Canada markets. However, U.S. account holders have limited access to trading in U.S. market markets. For the U.S., you can select the exchanges to include (NYSE, AMEX, NASDAQ), and can filter by more than 25 industry sectors, financial information such as EPS, P/E, Dividends, and by nine pre-set technical indicators including overbought/oversold and moving average crosses.
Although the technical indicators are simple to use, they are not very comprehensive. We could not screen for stocks that moved beyond 200. Other filters available include a consensus analyst rating with five grades (strong buy, buy, hold, underperform, sell) and if the stock can be traded on margin. Stocks cannot be screened for SRI (socially responsible investing). A customized search can be saved and converted to a watchlist. You can choose any stock from the search results to view key financial and technical information, as well as an order window.
ETF and Mutual Fund Screener
Webull does not offer an ETF screener, and they do not offer mutual funds on their platform at all.
Webull doesn’t have a screener that can identify potential option trade opportunities. However, they have tools to help you construct the most popular one, two and four leg options strategies (vertical spreads. Straddles/strangles. Butterflies/condors etc.). using a drop-down menu on the option chain table to select the strategy. You can then bring up the payout graph at maturity for the strategy, and use tools to further customize the strategy through different order types or adjusting the width between strike prices in multi-leg strategies.
Fixed Income Screener
Webull doesn’t offer fixed income through their platform.
Webull developed its own charting functionality and it is a solid offering. Mobile app charting is a bit different than on the web and workstation because of the smaller screen size, but it is very intuitive. Charts can be used to create alerts and order tickets. You can also add analysis such as Bollinger bands(r), moving or exponential moving averages, relative strength index (RSI), average trade range (ATR), multiple stochastics variants, and other commonly-used analysis to your chart. Again, it seems odd that neither the 50, 100, or 200 period MA was included in the set of six defaults in the program.
If you have heard about Webull before, it is the new web based trading system that has just made waves in the Forex market. Webull, which is operated by Chinese online holding business Fumi Technology, enables clients to purchase and sell an assortment of virtual assets, such as shares, ETFs, derivatives and commodities such as gold, dogecoin and shiba inu coin. You can also get market commentary and trade alerts from industry experts to help you make informed investment decisions. Investors will need to open a demo account to see how the system works and determine if it is suitable for them.
The Java-based software platform used for desktop trading platforms is the basis of the webull trading app. The webull platform allows access to real time quotes of stocks and options as well as to fundamental data such as market depth, price and volume. The webull desktop trading platform is designed for both iOS and android devices and comes loaded with over one million product images and a large variety of media files. First, download the free trial web edition and then install the webull trading app on your phone. In less than five minutes you are all set and ready to trade from anywhere in the world!
Webull allows traders to buy and sell securities with real money. This means that webull trading does not require any particular expertise in order to execute trades. The app uses sophisticated algorithms and mathematical algorithms to detect good opportunities and prevent losses by analyzing market signals and actions. For example, once the app identifies that the peak volume for a given security may be on the rise, it immediately alerts traders so that they can take action before the price starts to move. The best thing about trades is their ability to be customized. Trades can be customized to allow traders to set investment limits, strike amounts, and stop loss types. This allows them to set custom or automatic limits at the time they feel the investment is at risk.
Webull requires a minimum deposit to trade. The maximum amount is unlimited. After investors have created an account at webull, they are able to deposit funds into that account. Traders can start either holding a ‘buy’ or’sell’ option, and they are able to do transactions in two ways – using cash transactions or using credit card transfers. Credit cards are recommended for smaller investments due to the higher transfer fees.
Many people asked us why they should use webull instead of traditional trading platforms. Webull allows investors to do two types of transactions, buying and selling. In traditional trading, you need to wait until the end of the day to complete a transaction, and this will be reflected on your profit or loss statement. You can choose the time you want to make a transaction with webull. This will be reflected on your trading Profit and Loss Statement. Additionally, trading with webull will allow you to set a limit to the amount of money you are willing to spend or lose, thereby providing you more control and accountability for the money you are investing.
Another reason why webull is superior to other systems is that the webull financial trading platform provides investors with real-time protection from third parties. Webull’s counterparty protection feature makes it impossible for anyone to modify, change, or close your accounts except the authorized user. Therefore, webull provides you with true asset protection, which is much better than any system that does not provide this type of protection. Webull can also inform investors that they are not legally required to pay taxes on gains from investments in the U.S. as webull contracts or investment deals are not considered income.
Many traders use webull as their main trading platform, but there are many others who also use it for back-testing, fundamental tests, and even for their margin calls and transactions. In addition, investors can also use webull for their custom trading needs. For instance, some brokers provide webull trading as a free service to their clients. This service may be offered by some webull brokers for a small fee. Webull is a great product for investors large and small because of all the benefits it offers.
Overall, webull is an excellent platform for new traders, as well as experienced ones, because it provides a low-cost, hands-free, transparent way to trade on the equity market. The investor can decide how much he/she trades because there are no fees or commissions to pay. Webull is hard to beat.